Monday, October 25, 2004

Holidays

Well,
Am sitting back in the office now, looking out of my round window at a black sky full of clouds and the trees being battered by the rain.....back to the British autumn after a beautiful week on the island on Kos in Greece.
Hmmm.....an interesting and very revealing holiday.
Firstly I went with my Dad. He hasn't been on abroad for about 3 years as he has no one to go with so thought it would be a nice break for him. After this holiday though we both decided that the time has come where we won't go away just the 2 of us again. It would have been fine had my brother and his tribe come but it is the lack of conversation (my dad is a man of few words!) the looks as people try and figure out the relationship between you (are they partners, friends, father and daughter) and the different types of holidays we both enjoy. It just felt like the end of an era and the closing of a chapter as we were there on holiday. It was good that he realised it as well as I myself.
Secondly, I met the man of my dreams.....the sad thing was he met the woman of his dreams 3 months ago....God has a sense of humor! He was a gorgeous guy, with a eyes that concentrated on you as you spoke as if he was really interested in what you were saying. He wanted to settle down, he took his girlfriend horseriding on the beach and to see beautiful sunsets. All of this mixed with him telling me I had beautiful twinkling eyes and a zest for life made me turn to jelly!!! (I know he sounds cheesy but he wasn't!) When I regained my thoughts(!) I really had to think, why I have I met this guy, why has God placed him here for me to meet him. Firstly I wouldn't date him. The God I put my faith in and my life orientates around this guy knows knows nothing about. In effect we both worship 2 different things, how could I spend the rest of my life living intimately with someone who didn't understand a large chunk of my life. On this holiday though I really needed a guy to say something nice about me. I've never been one to be paid compliments and looking back, I went on holiday at such an emothional low point (the dread of Dad's drinking / the issue of singlenees that I think many of us are battered with on a regular basis) that I really needed a guy to make a comment like that about me, that I could be physically attractive. It also got me thinking about the things I would want in a man. Of course he would have to be a Christian, there is no questiona about that. But when he was saying about the horseriding, the sunsets and the compliment he paid me, I realised that I would want to date and marry a guy who would realise that those are the types of things that touch me. To be able to share a beautiful sunset with someone and know to attribute it to our Father in heaven, to pay me compliments when sometimes I'm feeling a little low, or just beacuse he appreciates me and recognises God working in me, to be romantic and for us both to keep that romance alive for years to come.....does that make sense?
Anyway the physical part of the holiday was OK, Dad didn't drink too much.The island was beautiful and a wonderful place to go to chill with friends or as a couple. We toured the island, went over to the island of Nissos to see the volcano and over to Bodrum in Turkey shopping as well as spending 3 days just sitting by the pool and enjoying the sunshine.
So now it is back to the office, back to everyday life? For now sadly yes.
ELJ

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hya,
Well I'm certainly glad to be back from Benidorm. Unlike you I only had 2 really nice sunny days. If it wasn't for Hannah the holiday would have been really borning. Everywhere you looked there were old dears (bless 'em!)
Well I was really looking forward to this holiday but if I'd known it was going to be like Blackpool I would never have gone. Anyway, we made the most of it and enjoyed the simple things like taking Hannah to the beach for the first time and seeing her face beam with excitement as she kicked the sand and felt the cold sea on her toes.
I had hoped to come back all relaxed and refreshed but spiritually I feel a bit deflated. I missed out on my quiet times with God and Bible readings then suffered with guilt. I found it difficult to pray. I got food poisoning and was ill for 2 days so that threw me a bit.
I don't know what it is about holidays but I can't wait to get back into some sort of routine where I can quietly read my Bible and pray.
I know God is gracious and is always lovingly waiting for me to come to Him and I feel so empty when I miss out this special time with Him.
It makes you appreciate Him more when you've been away and I can also say that I really appreciate church and all the encouragement that I get there.

Love
Lisa
XXX