Friday, July 15, 2005

"This is how much God loved the world:
He gave his Son, his one and only Son.
And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed;
by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life.
God didn't go to all the trouble of sending his Son merely to point an accusing finger,
telling the world how bad it was.
He came to help, to put the world right again."

This verse (well verse 16 in particular) is probably one of the most famous from the bible, but I find that I skip over it at times. I think I know it so well that there is nothing I can learn from it.
But reading it this morning something really struck me and it was in verse 17 rather than 16.
I have often thought of the trinity in a specific way. God is the judge, Jesus is the intercessor, and the Holy Spirit is our guide and comforter. It has therefore been a subconcious thought of mine that God is an accuser as well as a judge and that it is Jesus pleading for us and presenting our case. This verse completely contradicts my thinking though.
"God didn't go to all the trouble of sending his Son merely to point an accusing finger". He sent Jesus because he loves us and wants to help us.
I don't have children but I can imagine that humnanly speaking, one of the most impossible things to do would be to send your child somewhere knowing they were going to be killed. War is bad enough but the number of soldiers that return are always a lot higher than those that die; it is not definite that you're going to die there, even though there is a large risk. But just to send your child somewhere so that people who have cursed your name, rejected you, abandoned you and failed to recognise you may have a chance to spend eternity with you is mind blowing...and he didn't do this to condemn us but because he loves us......wow. That should start changing my perception of my Father in heaven!
I hope that you get some understanding from this and it gets you thinking as much as it got me!

No comments: