Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Sadness

Today we cremated my Uncle who died a week ago. Though he had cancer of the bladder it was unexpected. He'd had chemotherapy and then they removed his bladder in an operation a fortnight ago. Sadly he developed pneumonia, a thrombosis and then heart failure. We are such a close family, especially on my Dads side and it was such a shocking devastating loss to the family.
It was a really tough day as this is the first loss in the family since mum died 11 years ago. For me it was hard as I've never been to a cremation before.....There was to be no service at the church and in all truth I really had no idea what to expect....Dad was going to be one of the bearers which I know he was paniced about.......

Anyway it all went very well (though I always feel a little strange saying that about funerals!) and felt like it was a real celebration of his life......my heart just broke for all members of the family......his wife has MS and he was her main carer.......his children, though in their 30's/40's were heartbroken and the grandchildren were gutted......I think it has brought the issue of their own mortality to each of the siblings including my Dad......Uncle Bob was the middle brother with my two aunts older and then my Uncle Dei and my Dad being the youngest, and so Dad says they feel like the link has now been broken......

I thank God that I know Him and I can rest and trust in Him......I wonder how I got through mums death without knowing Him (I can feel the Holy Spirit saying 'But I knew you then')

On a happier note I was able to go with Gareth to pick Osian up from school and took this photo of them walking back to the house......the future.


No comments: